This article covers how to Connect Airpods to PS5, including what you’ll need. While this post focuses on connecting AirPods to the PS5, the techniques apply to any Bluetooth headphones (or another Bluetooth device).
What You Should Know
- Charge your AirPods > attach your Bluetooth adapter to your PS5, TV, or PS5 controller > enable adapter pairing
- Next, open the AirPods charging case > press and hold the case button until the Bluetooth adapter light solidly lights.
How to Connect AirPods to PS5
To connect AirPods to PS5, follow these steps:
- Check that your AirPods are charged. If your Bluetooth adapter connects to the PS5 controller and so requires a battery, check sure it’s also charged. Adapters that plug into the PS5 or TV are powered by those devices and do not require charging.
- Connect your PS5, TV, or controller to the Bluetooth adaptor.
- Switch the Bluetooth adaptor to pairing mode. Check the instructions because different devices enter pairing mode in somewhat different ways. A blinking light usually signifies that it is in pairing mode.
- Make sure the AirPods are in their charging case before opening it. Hold down the button on the casing.
- Hold the AirPods case button down until the Bluetooth adapter’s light goes solid. That means the AirPods are connected to the adapter. Is it possible that your AirPods are not synchronising with your PS5 or another device? Check out our suggestions for what to do if your AirPods don’t connect.
- Insert the AirPods into your ears. On the PS5, try playing a game or doing something that uses audio. The audio from the PS5 should be audible through your AirPods.
What to Do if You Can’t Hear Audio
If you’ve followed the steps above and still can’t hear anything from your AirPods, double-check that they’re properly paired to your PS5.
- From the Home screen, select Settings.
- Select Sound.
- Choose Audio Output.
- Select Output Device.
- On the next screen, select your Bluetooth device.You may also find useful settings under the Accessories section of Settings.
Can You Chat with Other Gamers on PS5 Using AirPods?
When using AirPods or other Bluetooth headphones with the PS5, there are two significant limitations.
To begin, Bluetooth headphones typically have some latency (also known as delay) between what you see onscreen and what you hear. This is because of the way Bluetooth transfers audio to the headphones. The audio latency with AirPods may be unacceptable if you require very high performance from your gaming.
Second, even though AirPods have a microphone (they can be used to answer phone calls, after all), they cannot be used to chat with other gamers. You’ll need headsets designed for the PS5 or a Bluetooth adapter with a microphone that plugs into the PlayStation controller for this.
If you want to go all out, Apple’s high-end AirPods Max headphones are also available. They include a headphone wire for connecting the AirPods Max to the PS5 controller. Just be sure to alter the audio output and microphone input settings.
Do you own a PS4? Instead, here’s how to link your AirPods to your PS4.
What You Need to Connect AirPods to PS5
Although it may be difficult to believe given that the PS5 is the latest and greatest video game console, it does not initially enable Bluetooth audio. That means you can’t use any Bluetooth headphones, including AirPods, with the PlayStation 5 unless you buy an attachment.
Although the PS5 can support various Bluetooth devices and can detect your AirPods or other headphones, the pairing procedure fails at the final step. Epic blunder!
This limitation can be overcome with a Bluetooth audio adapter that plugs into the console. Fortunately, there are numerous Bluetooth adapters available, and they are all reasonably priced (about $50). Adapters connect to the PS5’s USB ports, your TV’s USB ports, or the PS5 controller’s headphone jack. They all work the same way, so choose whichever accessory appeals to you.
Video: How To Connect Airpods To Your PS5!
How do I connect a PS5 controller to my iPhone?
To connect a PS5 controller to your iPhone, navigate to Settings > Bluetooth, then hold Share+PlayStation on your controller. Tap to pair your device when it shows under Other Devices.
Is there an official PS5 headset?
Yes. Sony’s Pulse 3D wireless headset is intended to provide excellent 3D audio for the PS5.
Can I connect AirPods to my PS5 without an adapter?
No. The PS5 controller isn’t set up to operate with AirPods by default, so you’ll need to utilise an adaptor.