This post will show you how to install and Use a Nintendo Switch Microphone. The instructions are applicable to all Nintendo Switch models.
What You Should Know
- Connect your headset to the Switch’s jack or USB port. Alternatively, connect your headset to the dock’s USB port.
- Connect the headset to your mobile device and launch the Nintendo Switch Online mobile app.
- You may also utilise the built-in microphone on your mobile device to talk on the Nintendo Switch Online app.
How to Use the Audio Jack With a Nintendo Switch Gaming Headset
The top of each Nintendo Switch console has an audio jack and the bottom has a USB-C port. Both can connect to suitable earphones or headphones and work with the majority of microphone models.
While playing Fortnite or Warframe, microphones attached to either port can be utilised to voice chat. All you have to do is plug in the microphone and start chatting. There is no need for a Nintendo Online subscription.
The only video games that offer microphone chat using this method are Fortnite and Warframe. Unfortunately, it’s unstable in Fortnite, with the game frequently failing to register a microphone on random instances.
When your Nintendo Switch is docked for TV play, you can use a USB microphone to connect to the dock’s USB port for voice chat.
Nintendo Switch Voice Chat Online App
Nintendo Switch Voice Chat, a first-party voice chat option, is available, however it is limited and complicated. Even though it only supports about ten or so games, it requires the usage of an iOS or Android device, the Nintendo Switch Online software, and an active Nintendo Switch Online paid monthly subscription.
The app is more complicated to use than simply plugging your microphone into your Nintendo Switch and talking. Nonetheless, it functions well and supports all headphones and microphones that can be connected to your smart device, including Bluetooth headsets and microphones. You can also use the built-in microphone on the device for voice chat, which is useful when you can’t find your accessories.
Use Third-Party Gaming Chat Apps with Nintendo Switch
The most common method for using a microphone to voice chat while playing video games on a Nintendo Switch is to utilise a third-party programme on your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
Voice chat services and apps are frequently free and may be utilised while playing video games; they can also connect you with pals on other consoles such as the Xbox One and PS4. To use a third-party app for voice chat, simply have your friends download the same app onto their devices, then start a group call or chat.
Here are some of the most popular apps used for video game voice chats:
- Discord: A popular service that supports free text-based chat rooms and group calls.
- WhatsApp: A popular phone call alternative app. WhatsApp is also great for video game voice chats.
- Skype: Not popular with kids, but parents may have an account they can use.
- Xbox: The official Xbox apps support voice chat. This is a good option if you have a lot of Xbox network friends. Download the Xbox iOS app or get the Android Xbox app. You can also download the Windows 10 Xbox app.
- Line: Line is the WhatsApp of Japan. It’s popular with those who live in Japan and international users who are interested in Japanese culture, anime, and video games. It supports group calls with up to 200 people.
This method is the best way to communicate while playing games on the Nintendo Switch until Nintendo adds better support for microphones, headsets, and voice chat.
Connect to Wi-Fi when using a voice chat app on a smart device to avoid using cellular data.
What’s a Good Nintendo Switch Gaming Headset?
When shopping for a microphone for the Nintendo Switch, consider how you’ll communicate with your buddies. In general, any microphone or headset that supports a 3.5mm audio connector will function on a Nintendo Switch, as well as an Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Android device, or computer.
While there are several Nintendo Switch-branded microphones and headsets available, such as the Turtle Beach Recon 70N Gaming Headset, you are not required to purchase one in order to voice chat.
How do I test the microphone on a Nintendo Switch?
To test your Nintendo Switch’s microphone, go to the Home menu > System Settings > Other Settings > page two > Mic Test > speak into the microphone. If you see coloured volume bars, your microphone is operational.
Why is my Nintendo Switch microphone not working?
If your microphone isn’t working, make sure you have chat enabled in the game you’re playing. If it is, try turning the feature off and then back on. Make sure that your Voice Chat Method is set to Open Mic.
How do I connect a Nintendo Switch to a TV?
To connect your Nintendo Switch to a TV, remove the back cover of the dock and connect the AC adapter and HDMI cable. Connect the AC adapter to a wall outlet and the HDMI cable to your TV. Remove the Joy-Con controllers, place the Switch in the dock, and turn on both the Switch and the TV.