What You Should Know
This article describes how to use Air Link to connect a Meta Quest 2 to a PC.
- Navigate to Quick Settings > System > Quest Link > Quest Link toggle > Launch Quest Link > Select the Use Air Link toggle, then your PC > Pair.
- Launch the Meta Quest app on your computer, enter the code from Quest 2, and click Confirm.
- Continue with your Quest 2 and wait for the connection to be established.
How to Wirelessly Connect Quest 2 to PC
Your Quest 2 can play games without being connected to a PC, but it can also function as a cordless VR headset by utilising a technology known as Air Link.
When connected to a PC via Air Link, you can play VR games not available on Quest 2, as well as PC versions of Quest 2 games with improved graphics and performance. Because the connection is wireless, you can roam freely on your Quest 2 for room-scale gameplay.
Here’s how to wirelessly connect your Meta or Quest 2 to a PC:
- If you haven’t done so already, download and install the Meta Quest app on your PC.You’ll need to make sure you’re signed into the app with the same Facebook, Meta, or Oculus account that you use with your headset.
- Press the Oculus button on your right touch controller to bring up the toolbar in VR.
- Select the Quick Settings shortcut (time, battery, and Wi-Fi on the toolbar.)
- Select Settings.
- Select System.
- Select Quest Link.
- Select the Quest Link toggle to turn it on.
- Select Launch Quest Link.
- Select the Use Air Link toggle to turn it on.
- Select your PC and then select Pair.If you don’t see your PC, or the pair option isn’t available, make sure the Meta Quest app is running on your PC, that it’s signed in, and that you have selected Oculus Quest 2 as your device.
- On your PC, verify the code and click Continue.
- Your Quest is now connected to your PC via Air Link.
How to Play VR Games Wirelessly on Quest 2 Through Air Link
Air Link enables your Quest 2 to function as a wireless VR headset and to play games using the power of a VR-ready gaming PC. The simplest option is to buy and play games through the Oculus storefront, and if you have previously purchased games through that storefront to play on an Oculus Rift, you may play them on your Quest 2 via Air Link.
You do, however, have full access to the desktop of the linked PC, so you can utilise Air Link to control your PC in VR, watch movies and other media, and play games with SteamVR.
Here’s how to use Air Link to play games on your Quest 2:
- Once you’ve connected via Air Link, you will see this screen. You can launch games that you own through the Oculus Store through this screen, or look down to see a selection of controls if you want to play non-Oculus games.
- Select the monitor icon to access Desktop Mode.
- To play a game, either open the game directly through the desktop or open a platform like Steam.If you want to play Steam games in VR, you’ll need to install SteamVR first.
- Select a SteamVR from your library, then launch a VR-ready game from the SteamVR portal and it will run on your PC while streaming wirelessly to your Quest 2.
Why Connect a Meta (Oculus) Quest 2 to a PC?
Because the Meta (Oculus) Quest 2 is a stand-alone VR headset, you don’t need to connect it to a PC to play VR games. It’s essentially a small computer and a VR headset in one, with a storefront that lets you buy and launch games without the need for any further hardware. These games have been built or customised specifically for the Quest 2 hardware, so they perform well despite the fact that the Quest 2 is substantially less powerful than most VR-ready PCs.
Because VR-ready PCs are far more powerful than the Quest 2, they can run a broader choice of games. You are not limited to the games available at the Quest 2 marketplace, and even titles available in Quest 2 often have PC versions that run faster, have better visuals, or have settings that Quest 2 does not have.
The Quest 2 version of VR Chat, for example, restricts the worlds you can visit, the avatars you may choose, and even the avatars you can view. All of those restrictions are lifted if you connect your Quest 2 to a VR-capable PC and load VR chat that way.
What Causes Choppy Gameplay When Using Air Link?
Air Link uses your Wi-Fi network to link your Quest 2 to your PC. Connect your PC to your network using a wired Ethernet connection for the best experience, and ensure sure there is a clear line of sight between your Quest 2 and your router.
Any obstacles between your router and your Quest 2 will cause interference, resulting in sluggish gaming, fuzzy visuals, and other issues. Congestion can affect your gameplay if you have a lot of devices connected to your wireless network.
In addition to wireless Air Link, you can use Quest Link to connect your Quest 2 to a PC via USB connection. This method requires you to connect a high-quality USB-C connection to your PC while playing.
Connecting your Quest through physical cable delivers a more consistent experience in terms of smooth gameplay and graphics, but it restricts your movement and is best recommended for seated gameplay situations.
When connecting via a wired Quest Link connection, avoid yanking or tugging on the USB-C cord. Sudden head or body movements may damage your Quest 2 or PC’s USB-C connector.
HOW TO PLAY PC VR GAMES WIRELESSLY! | Meta Quest 2 Air Link Setup Guide 2022
How do I wirelessly link my Oculus Quest 2 to my TV?
To wirelessly connect your Quest 2 to your TV from the headset, go to Share > Cast, choose your TV, and then Next. Open the Meta app on your smartphone and select Cast.
How do I use a cable to link my Meta Quest or Quest 2 to my PC?
Install the Oculus Link app on your PC and turn on your headset to connect your Quest or Quest 2 to your PC via cable. Connect a USB-C adapter to Quest and your PC, then put on the headset and select Allow by staring at the virtual button and hitting the headset volume button.
How can I pair my Oculus Quest 2 with my phone?
To link your Quest 2 to your phone, click to Settings > About on your Quest 2 and write down the pairing code. Then, launch the Oculus phone app and navigate to Menu > Devices > Pair Your Headset > Quest 2 > Continue. Tap the check mark after entering the pairing code.
How can I pair my Oculus Quest 2 with SideQuest?
To sideload apps on your Quest or Quest 2, launch the Meta Quest app on your PC, navigate to Settings > General, and enable Unknown sources. Then, activate developer mode and install SideQuest on your computer.