You must pass through an active End Portal to reach The End and confront the Ender Dragon. In Minecraft, here’s how to find and build an End Portal.
Note: These instructions apply to all platforms of Minecraft.
How Do You Make an End Portal in Minecraft?
You can create your own End Portal in Creative Mode. The frame pieces cannot be crafted, however they can be found in the inventory screen.
- Open the inventory screen and add 12 Eyes of Ender and 12 End Portal Frames to your hotbar.
- Install the End Portal Frame. Each side must have three blocks, as seen below. They must be positioned correctly, with the green marks facing the centre. To ensure perfect placements, stand in the centre and build the gateway around you.
- Stand outside of the frame and put Eyes of Ender in each frame block. When you insert the last one, the portal will activate.
How Do You Find and Activate an End Portal in Minecraft?
After you find or create an End Portal, you must activate it. Here’s how you can accomplish both:
- Gather 12 Ender Pearls. Endermen must be defeated, or Gold Ingots must be given to Piglins in the Nether. Clerics in villages will occasionally exchange Ender Pearls for Emeralds.
- Craft 12 Blaze Powders out of 6 Blaze Rods. You can make 2 Blaze Powders at a time. To get Blaze Rods, defeat Blazes in the Nether.
- Make a Crafting Table out of 4 Wood Planks, then set it on the ground and open it.
- Make at least 12 Ender’s Eyes. Place Blaze Powder in the first box of the middle row and an Ender Pearl in the centre of the grid to produce an Eye of Ender. It takes up to 12 Eyes to activate the portal, but it’s a good idea to make a few extra for the next stage.
- Equip and throw an Eye of Ender. The Eye of Ender will sail into the sky before crashing to the ground. Look up to see where it goes and attempt to catch it before throwing it again. To find a stronghold, keep throwing until it keeps landing in the same area. Your platform determines how you throw the Eye of Ender:
- PC: Right-clickMobile: Tap and holdXbox: Press LTPlayStation: Press L2
- Once the Eye falls in the same spot, start digging to find the stronghold.
- Look for the End Portal. Look for a room with a lava pit and a monster spawner. If you travel one route and don’t see the Portal (the spiral steps leading down), turn around and try another option.
- To activate the End Portal, place Eyes of Ender in the empty frame blocks. Parts of the portal’s frame may already have Eyes inserted.
- To get to The End, use the End portal and prepare to fight the Ender Dragon. You can respawn the Ender Dragon whenever you wish after defeating it.
In Minecraft, how can I get a gateway block?
When you touch a portal block, it appears inside the frame of an activated portal and transports you to a location. You can’t normally add one to your inventory, however in some versions of the game, you can use inventory editing or glitches to do so.
In Minecraft, how can I create a Nether Portal?
You’ll need a lot of Obsidian to construct a doorway to the Nether dimension. Mark a four-by-five-block area with blocks (the inside of the ring will be two-by-three blocks); the maximum size is 23 x 23. Place fire inside the Obsidian boundary to activate the portal.