This article describes how to connect any model of AirPods to the PS4, as well as what accessories you’ll need to purchase and which functionalities aren’t supported. The instructions apply to the original AirPods, AirPods with wireless charging case, and AirPods Pro.
What You Should Know
- Connect a third-party Bluetooth adapter to the PS4’s open USB port. To pair the AirPods, press and hold the button on the case.
- To validate that the AirPods are linked, go to Settings > Devices > Audio Device
- You won’t be able to communicate with other players if you use AirPods with your PS4.
What You Need to Connect AirPods to PS4
The PS4 does not, believe it or not, support Bluetooth audio out of the box. That means you can’t connect AirPods or other Bluetooth headphones to it without purchasing additional devices. If you attach AirPods to the PS4 without an adapter, the PS4 will recognise them and you will go through all of the pairing procedures just to have the process fail at the very end. Annoying!
To go around this, you’ll need to purchase a PS4 Bluetooth adaptor that supports Bluetooth audio and plug it into the console.
We used the Twelve South AirFly Duo for this article, but any Bluetooth adapter that supports audio and can be plugged into a PS4 will do.
How to Connect AirPods to PS4
Follow these steps to use a Bluetooth adapter to connect AirPods to PS4:
- Check that your AirPods are fully charged. The same is true if your Bluetooth adaptor has a battery. (Because the AirFly Duo plugs into the PS4 controller’s headphone jack, it requires battery power.) Other Bluetooth adapters plug into the PS4’s USB ports and do not require battery power.)
- Connect the Bluetooth adapter to your PS4.
- Put the Bluetooth adapter into pairing mode. The exact way you do this depends on your device, so check the instructions that came with it.
- With your AirPods in their charging case, open the case and press and hold the syncing button.
- Hold the button down until the Bluetooth adapter’s lights stop blinking. This indicates that the AirPods are connected to the adaptor. Is it possible that your AirPods aren’t syncing for some reason? We’ve got suggestions for what to do if your AirPods don’t connect.
- Confirm that your PS4 is being sent to your AirPods by checking the settings on the PS4. Go to Settings > Devices > Audio Devices.
- There are two important settings to change on the Audio Devices screens:
- Output Device: Set to Headphones Connected to Controller (or the menu that’s correct for your Bluetooth adapter).
- Output to Headphones: Set to All Audio.
- With that done, all audio from the PS4 is coming to your AirPods and you’re ready to play!
While this post focuses on connecting AirPods to PS4, once you have a Bluetooth adapter, you can connect any Bluetooth device to PS4, not only AirPods.
Can You Use AirPods to Chat with Other Gamers on PS4?
While this post illustrates how to link AirPods to a PS4, there is one drawback to this method: Even if AirPods feature a microphone, you can’t communicate with other gamers (as anyone who has used them for phone calls knows). This is due to the fact that most Bluetooth adapters only deliver audio from the PS4 to your headphones, not the other way around. You’ll need headphones designed exclusively for the PS4 for this (or other gaming consoles).
Still, if all you want to do is listen to music without disturbing others, a Bluetooth adaptor is a terrific solution.
Video: How To Connect Airpods To PS4
How do you connect AirPods to an iPhone?
To connect your AirPods to an iPhone, first turn on Bluetooth on your iPhone, then hold your AirPods close to the phone in their charging case, lid open. Follow the on-screen instructions by tapping Connect.
How do you connect AirPods to a Mac?
To connect your AirPods to your Mac, first enable Bluetooth on the computer. Hold down the setup button on the AirPods case until the status light starts blinking white. Click Connect when the AirPods show in the Bluetooth options window on the Mac.
How do you connect AirPods to an Android device?
To connect AirPods to an Android device, go to Settings and tap or toggle on Bluetooth. Hold the setup button on the AirPods charging case until the status light blinks white. Tap AirPods from the available options on your Android device.