This article outlines three calibrations that may assist enhance the performance of iOS 11 or later devices. here’s how to Calibrate an iPhone Screen.
What You Should Know
- To calibrate the brightness, turn off Auto Brightness, go to a dark room, and lower the brightness. Reactivate Auto Brightness.
- To calibrate the Motion Sensors and Compass, turn on Compass Calibration and Motion Calibration & Distance.
- To calibrate the battery, totally discharge the phone and then fully recharge it. Reboot and perform a soft reset.
How to Calibrate iPhone Screen Brightness
When the iPhone Auto-Brightness sensor fails, the phone reacts incorrectly to changes in brightness. The problem may develop because Auto-Brightness adjusts based in part on where the setting was set when the functionality was enabled.
Here’s how to recalibrate the Auto-Brightness sensor:
- Open the Settings app, scroll down, and select Accessibility.
- Turn off the Auto-Brightness toggle switch after selecting Display & Text Size. To access the brightness settings from anywhere on the iPhone, swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen (or down from the top on an iPhone X) to open the Control Center. Move to a dark or dimly lit room, then manually reduce the Brightness all the way down so that the screen is as dark as possible.
- Turn on the Auto Brightness toggle switch, then move to a room with regular lighting to see if the auto brightness works better.
How to Calibrate iPhone Motion Sensors and Compass
Many applications make advantage of the iPhone’s motion sensor, accelerometer, and compass. When any of these stops operating properly, the iPhone automatically recalibrates the app as long as Location Services is enabled.
Here’s how to make sure that your device is handling this for you:
- Open Settings.
- Turn on the Location Services toggle switch, then scroll down and tap System Services.
- Turn on the Compass Calibration and Motion Calibration & Distance toggle switches.
- The iPhone uses your location data to ensure the gyroscope, GPS, compass, and accelerometer work properly.
On older versions of iOS, launch Compass and play the mini-game by rolling a red ball around a circle to recalibrate the Compass and motion sensor.
How to Calibrate the iPhone Battery
When the phone displays erroneous percentages, the iPhone battery must be calibrated. The phone may show a low percentage but will last an extra hour or two. It may also display a full battery and abruptly shut down. Calibrate the iPhone battery to correct the manner in which the phone monitors and reports the percentage of remaining battery power.
Discharge the phone completely. Use the battery power till it dies.
- To totally drain the battery, leave the phone discharged and unplugged overnight.
- Charge the phone for a couple of hours longer than necessary to bring it up to 100 percent capacity while it is turned off.
- Restart the phone and then conduct a soft reset (also called a warm reset).
The method to perform a soft reset varies with the iPhone model:
- Hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds on iPhone models prior to the iPhone 7 (such as the iPhone SE, 6S, 6, 5S, 5, 4S, and 4).
- Hold the Volume Down and Sleep/Wake buttons for 10 seconds on the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.
- For the iPhone X, 8, and 8 Plus, push and release the Volume Up button, then the Volume Down button, and finally the Side button until the Apple logo shows.
When the phone is reset, the battery status should become more accurate. If the difficulties persist, the battery may need to be replaced.
How can I calibrate my iPhone’s touch screen?
There is no way to calibrate an iPhone’s touch screen, but there are some potential solutions if you’re having trouble with touch accuracy. Restart your iPhone and inspect the screen for water or dirt; if you have a screen protector, remove it and unplug any accessories. If the issue persists, contact Apple Support.
How can I re-calibrate the keypad on my iPhone?
You can’t re-calibrate your iPhone’s keyboard, but there are a few settings you may change to make it easier to use. Install a custom keyboard that meets your requirements.